Episode 64 - The Deficit Myth with Economist Stephanie Kelton
Economist Stephanie Kelton joins for a comprehensive conversation about the federal budget, inflation, jobs, revamping the debt system, the power of the purse, and the US economy.
Bill and Jane sit down with economist, Stephanie Kelton for a comprehensive conversation about the federal budget, inflation, jobs, revamping the debt system, the power of the purse, and the US economy.
Stephanie is a leading authority on Modern Monetary Theory, a new approach to economics that is taking the world by storm. She is considered one of the most important voices influencing the policy debate today. Her New York Times bestseller, The Deficit Myth: Modern Monetary Theory and the Birth of the People’s Economy, shows how to break free of the flawed thinking that has hamstrung policymakers around the world.
- 3:24 The Federal Government will never run out of money
- 4:16 Difference between a household and fed budget and the Power of the purse
- 6:20 Raising Taxes for debt
- 8:06 Paying the debt and interest
- 9:00 The Mechanics of Government Finance
- 11:21 Biden and Revamping the Debt system
- 14:15 Fear of inflation
- 16:23 The Essence of inflation
- 18:07 Can we predict inflation?
- 21:49 Inflation expectations
- 22:28 Driving up prices
- 23:54 Government managing people
- 27:19 Jobs
- 33:11 Power of the purse
Follow Us on Twitter: @politicsMMITM
Hosted by: Bill Curtis and Jane Albrecht
Produced by: Joey Salvia
Theme Music by: Celleste & Eric Dick